[Xlog-discussion] How to load Xlog on Red Hat 9

From: Karl Larsen
Subject: [Xlog-discussion] How to load Xlog on Red Hat 9
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 06:46:15 -0600 (MDT)

        With the help of Alexandru Csete who suggested I use --nodeps while
installing the Xlog RPM file and using a sim link to help it find the older
version of the "/usr/lib/libexpat" file made Xlog work on Red Hat version 9.

        When I first tried to load Xlog it had 2 or 3 dependancy errors one
of which was hamlib-1.2.0 and that caused me to stop. I had no idea where
this was. Then I was directed to a site having hamlib-1.2.0-1.i386.rpm
on it and I loaded it with no problems.

        So this morning I was at the point where I had just one dependancy
which was:

 error: Failed dependencies:
         libexpat.so.1 is needed by xlog-0.9.6-1

        Alexandru suggested I just try loading it with nodeps and see what
happens. So I did and it worked! This was:

# rpm -i --nodeps xlog-0.9.6-1.i386.rpm

and it completed and when I typed xlog it came up.

        I checked and yes you do need the sim link. This is kind of magic
but it's been part of unix forever. The basic form is ln -s foo bar which
will make a file bar that is linked to foo. In this case you do this as
root in the /usr/lib/ directory:

# ln -s libexpat.so.0.4.0 libexpat.so.1

Now look in /usr/bin/ and you have what looks like a good libexpat.so.1 but
it's just linked to the older version.

        Now you can load the Xlog rpm package with nodeps.