[Xlog-discussion] Re: Hamlib, Xlog and IC725

From: Wilbert Knol
Subject: [Xlog-discussion] Re: Hamlib, Xlog and IC725
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 16:30:20 +1200

> > I believe the IC725 (and possibly other Icom rigs) broadcasts on the CI-V
> > interface frequency and mode info the moment the radio is tuned.
> >
> > This seems to cause bus collisions and time-outs with applications like
> > Xlog and TLF, which poll the radio at regular intervals.

> Is there a way to turn rig broadcasts off on your IC725?

I thought about that....I seem to recall you can do this by fiddling the diode
matrix inside the rig. Will investigate and report back on a possible
hardware fix.

> Currently, I don't see a good solution for this from the xlog
> side.

My thinking was, if there was a way of stopping the application (TLF/XLOG)
from polling the rig, then the bus collisions would go away. Something like a
radio button in the xlog preferences.

But maybe, applications _must_ poll in order to get their hands on the CAT
data. If so, perhaps consideration could be given for the hamlib back-end to
serve  up data broadcast on the CAT interface, without being actively polled.

The way it is at present is, that there is a stream of bus errors when I tune
the rig.

> I somehow have to rely on the hamlib libraries and cannot
> possibly accomodate for all the different rig specs.

That's fair enough....that's the job of the back-end.

In any case, I am not too fussed. With the new timeouts, it doesn't freeze the
xlog GUI anymore. I just thought I would bring this up the celebrate the
latest release of hamlib :-)

> BTW. ZL7C card is on the wall here, thanks!
Excellent

Wilbert, ZL2BSJ