Re: [Xlog-discussion] XLOG and USB?

From: Joop Stakenborg
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] XLOG and USB?
Date: 22 Jan 2003 20:57:39 +0100

Op wo 22-01-2003, om 05:07 schreef Wilbert Knol:
> Thanks for reading this. I am having a play getting XLOG to work with my
> rig (IC725) via HAMLIB. The CAT interface works well, provided I use
> /dev/ttyS0.
>
> When I have the radio on /dev/usb/tts/0 however (a 4-port USB<>RS232
> hub), XLOG becomes really slow and unresponsive to the point where I
> have to zap the process.
>
> I am a bit puzzled by this, because this set-up works well if I use the
> RIGCTL program to talk to the back-end.
>
> Interestingly, TLF displays the same problem with the radio on a USB
> device. Perhaps this is more of a HAMLIB API problem?

I think both tlf and xlog are programmed in such a way that polling of
the rig is done every x milliseconds, where x is larger than the default
timeout for the port that is used. For the serial port this is 200 ms
(the default timeout for hamlib), xlog polls the rig every 350 ms.

If the polling frequency is smaller than the timeout, the program will
become blocked, because a timeout never occurs. This could be the case
with your usb hub. I have done some digging in the hamlib sources, I
cannot find any timeout setting if you use RIG_PORT_DEVICE instead of
RIG_PORT_SERIAL.

But there might be a reason for this. Maybe it can be set in some other
way, for instance through the /proc filesystem (/proc/bus/usb would be a
wild guess). Have you tried using some utility for viewing the setting
of your usb devices, like usbutils or usbview?

Hope this helps....

> Wilbert, ZL2BSJ
>
> PS: The XLOG version I am using is a couple of weeks old. I have been
> unable to find the latest rc2 release.

It is at http://auric.debian.org/~pa3aba

Regards,
Joop PA4TU