Re: [Xlog-discussion] RE: dual use for serial ports (was Re: Hamlib for

From: Ernest Stracener
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] RE: dual use for serial ports (was Re: Hamlib for Ernest )
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 12:38:58 -0500

On Saturday 21 September 2002 07:40 am, Stephane Fillod wrote:
> I guess only DTR or RTS signals of your serial port are used for the psk
> interface. So you can very well make them live together with Hamlib (which
> uses only TXD/RXD, and maybe hardware flow control). On top of that, Hamlib
> is able to drive the PTT keying using DTR/RTS. So kpsk would really take at
> its advantage to use hamlib, and thus reducing the noddles jam at the back
> of your PC.hi.

Good point...I wonder if both kpsk & hamlib could use the port simultaneously
or if I would get a report of "device unavailable" or some such?  I don't
know enough about the core functions of kpsk to know right now.  I would have
to wire up a new interface to try to find out, I think.  When I built the psk
interface for my radio, I used a pretty simple design and did not include
wiring for radio comm conrol.  The hamshack PC at that time had two physical
serial ports; I have a different machine down here now & it only has one
physical port -- perhaps I'll dig out my radio's manual and see what I can do
with only one port sometime soon.

I do hope that we can provide an integration option for hamlib as well as
xlog; those things are currently outside of my coding abilities (I am mostly
just the doc writer), but I'm working on learning more C++.  Perhaps I will
figure it out in time for kpsk v1.1.

:)

For now, I'm off to the computer store to find an add-in serial port card...
I'll give xlog0.7beta6 a test this evening...sounds like some nice
improvements in this latest beta!

It is a beautiful day in Wisconsin today!  ~25 deg C and not a cloud in the
sky!

73-
Ernie