[Xlog-discussion] multi rig and RPC backend, was: Re: [Hamlib-developer]

From: Stephane Fillod
Subject: [Xlog-discussion] multi rig and RPC backend, was: Re: [Hamlib-developer] Re: [Groundstation-developer] Gnome RIG 0.2
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 22:41:55 +0200

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002, Joop Stakenborg wrote:
> > This way, no need to put hacks in all the applications around to make them
> > live together.
> >
> > What do you think?
> >

> sudo rpc.rigd -m 210 -v &
> Opened rig model 210, 'TS-870S'
>
> rigctl -m 1901
>
> Rig command: f
> Frequency: 14026540
>
> Wow!
>
> xlog is unfriendly towards RPC (probably a bug):
> /dev/ttyS0: RPC: Unknown host

This is because for the RPC backend, the rig device file name is
the hostname of the RPC server.
i.e.   rigctl -m 1901  is equivalent to   rigctl -r localhost -m 1901

So just open up the pathname combo box of xlog (anyway, USB serial port
can names different than /dev/ttySx), and allow to enter free form,
at least for the RPC backend.

I don't know yet how to pass the port number. Most probably along the
hostname, maybe something like "host:port" for an absolute port (that
can be listed in /etc/services), or "host:+number" for a rig # relative to
the default port (0x20000099).
Comments?

Cheers,
Stephane