RE: [Xlog-discussion] RE: Hold your (xlog-) horses - suggestion

From: Tomi Manninen
Subject: RE: [Xlog-discussion] RE: Hold your (xlog-) horses - suggestion
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 01:57:46 +0200 (EET)

On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, WILLIAMS,TED (HP-NewJersey,ex2) wrote:

> > > Joop, wouldn't '\n' serve as a bit more natural field
> > separator? Just a
> > > thought...
> > >

> Also, Joop, watch out for that ":" - you may find it in other places - time
> field.

I think we could live with making ':' an illegal character inside a
message. The sending program would have the resposibility for making sure
':' never appears in the data. Moreover I would like to have the date and
time fields have much stricter syntax. My suggestion would be:

  date:YYYYMMDD
  time:HHMMSS

All fields padded with zeros as necessary. Time in 24h format of course
(and I think that even though we probably just throw away the seconds they
should still be there). Also both always in UTC.

Again this would be more work for Joop as it would be xlog's job to do the
final formatting...

Joop, I'll do the '\n' change and send a patch to you soon. I actually
already implemented the logging stuff for gmfsk a couple of days ago but I
still have trouble with my new PC. Today (yesterday actually) I changed
the memory module after being finally able to prove that the box really
suffers from memory errors. Now everything seems to be ok but I still need
to do more burn-in tests...

--
Tomi Manninen           Internet:  address@hidden
OH2BNS                  AX.25:     address@hidden