Re: [Xlog-discussion] Hold your (xlog-) horses

From: Joop Stakenborg
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] Hold your (xlog-) horses
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 19:32:37 +0100

On Tue, 11 Dec 2001 00:07:55 +0100
Stephane Fillod <address@hidden> wrote:

> In the example you gave, don't forget to put a '\0' at the end of the
> last field value.
> Also, that would be good to agree upon some basic rules,
> like a field name connot be longer than 32 or 16 characters,
> can contains only chars in [a-zA-Z0-9_], i.e. same rule as symbols
> in C language. Field values may be limited to xxx chars,
> and overall message length limited to 1KB or 4KB?

The mtext buffer is 1024, so the 1 KB would be a good idea. I can also
make it 4K, which is the maximum length for mtext. I will stick to 1K
for the time being.

The way I have programmed it in 0.5pre2, it does not really matter what the
field length is, but you are right, there should be some kind of field
length check. I can put this in 0.5.
Right now, the format for saving limits the field length to 15 characters,
we can change this for future versions, if we have a more flexible file
format.

> Anyway, a list of known field names would help too:
>
>   version     protocol version, integer only
>   program     program name sending the message
>   date                abreviated date, localized or not?
>   time                start time UTC
>   endtime     end time UTC (mandatory in France)
>   call                call sign
>   name                operator's name
>   qth         --.- - ....
>   mhz         full frequency (if specified, band not required)
>   band                band in meter
>   mode                two way mode (Question: what about split?)
>   tx          his report
>   rx          my report
>   power               emitted power (mandatory in France)
>   notes               whatever
>   locator     as used on 6m and up

See sendtoxlog.c, description at the top of the file.
I will put locator, endtime and pwr in version 0.5 (did not think of
it in 0.5pre2). Anyway, 0.5pre2 should be an evaluation version for Tomi,
so he has something to work on for gmfsk.

> Do you see any other fields?

I guess on version 0.5, because we only have a remarks fields,
name, qth, notes, pwr, endtime and locator will go there in this field.
Any objections?

> Cheers,
>
> Stephane F8CFE

Adios,