Re: [XForms] Fonts used by Xforms on recent Fedora

From: Serge Bromow
Subject: Re: [XForms] Fonts used by Xforms on recent Fedora
Date: Thu, 06 May 2010 15:59:50 -0400

Jens Thoms Toerring wrote:
Hi Serge,

On Thu, May 06, 2010 at 11:43:57AM -0400, Serge Bromow wrote:

Yes indeed this is a problem that has plagued me for some time. It
would appear that we Fedora folk are the victims of cruel font joke.

Take a look at "http://www,dineamix.ca/xforms". These images show
the different font rendering in Fedora 5 vs Ubuntu 10.4 which uses
the same font handling method as Fedora 10 and forward.

Obviously they are not the same size and they create havoc with
applications being ported to various operating system (see last
pictures).

In my case I use RedHat 7.3 and Fedora 5 operating systems and both
use the font server approach. In the "/etc/X11/fs/config" file show
here note that the 75 dpi font is listed before the 100 dpi and the
75dpi is favoured in the default-resolution statement.
//--------------------------------------------------
catalogue = /usr/share/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled,
       /usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled,
       /usr/share/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled,
       /usr/share/X11/fonts/Type1,
       /usr/share/fonts/default/Type1,
       /usr/share/fonts/msttcorefonts,

# 100 x 100 and 75 x 75
default-resolutions = 75,75,100,100
// --------------------------------------------------

So a call for Helvetica/Courier/Times  fonts returns the 75dpi font
first and all is well on our screens.

Simply adding the font server package (xfs) can fix the problem in
the Fedora 10 and on. Simply ensure the 75dpi fonts are specified
before the 100dpi.

Do you see any way I could do something to ease the pain a bit? One
way might be to try to figure out the prefered font resolution and
put it into the query for the fonts, similar to what you proposed
to do manually with

Not Really.  I use a common routine  in advance of "fl_initialize" to set other parameters so I can set the font fixes there.

Maybe something like fl_force_dpi(int dpi) would be usefull but I'm not sure I have found the real problem yet.

you can edit the "forms-source/lib/fonts.c" file and change the
entries below to force 75dpi.

That wouldn't be a big deal once one knows which is the correct
font resolution for the system. Currently the library tries to
figure out the screen resolution (in lib/flresources.c around
line 1155). Now I could use that for a guess for the appropriate
font resolution. "Interesting" are corner cases when the screen
resolution is near to the middle between 75 and 100 dpi - which
font resolution do I prefer then?

This would be a shot in the dark and we don't want to disturb others for what I believe is a one off problem.
Since I have both machines in front of me I will test further and get back to you with the results.

Thanks,

Serge
All comments (or better ideas) will be appreciated;-)

                           Best regards, Jens

--
Serge Bromow
DineAmix Inc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. The message may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify DineAmix Inc. immediately by email at address@hidden.

Thank you.