Re: [XForms] binary incompatibility 1.0.2 -> 1.0.92sp2

From: Jens Thoms Toerring
Subject: Re: [XForms] binary incompatibility 1.0.2 -> 1.0.92sp2
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 14:10:35 +0100

Hi Michal,

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 01:28:22PM +0100, Michal Szymanski wrote:
> Maybe I have not noticed that in Jens' announcements but maybe we just
> were not aware of: it seems that an application built dynamically with
> libforms.so.1.0.0 (version 1.0.2 actually, as given in forms.h) cannot
> be properly run with new library libforms.1.1.0 (1.0.92sp) without being
> recompiled from sources. What I noticed is that a vertical slider was
> totally messed.
>
> While it is not a big problem to recompile, we probably should take care
> of version naming - shouldn't the libraries differing with only minor
> version number be binary compatible?

You're absolutely right. Changes in the library that lead to
binary incompatibility should result in a different major
revision number. But unfortunately I have only become aware
of this a few weeks ago and am working at the moment on a new
release with a library version number of 2.0.0 (actually, the
xforms-1.0.93pre1 pre-release already has that number). I will
make one or two further pre-releases and then make a new
release with the bumped up major version number (and from
then on make sure the versions keep binary compatible). Sorry
for the inconvenience!
                           Best regards, Jens