Re: [XForms] FL_FIXLEVEL change (small) problem

From: Jens Thoms Toerring
Subject: Re: [XForms] FL_FIXLEVEL change (small) problem
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 15:07:51 +0100

Hi Michal,

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 12:02:11PM +0100, Michal Szymanski wrote:
> In some of my XForms apps I include a possibility to show the version of
> libraries used.
>
> The FL_FIXLEVEL define in "forms.h" has changed its "type", from an int
> (eg. 2) to a string (eg. "92sp2"). This makes it difficult to properly
> print the full version.
>
> Any idea how to programatically (either at preprocessing stage or at program
> execution) detect the type of such a macro?

Sorry that I broke something for your applications with this
change, I hadn't forseen this. Unfortunately, reverting to
the old way will break things for those that now rely on the
FIXLEVEL being a string instead of an int...

To get around the problem on can use a preprocessor trick. Define

#define _QM( x ) #x
#define QM( x ) _QM( x )
#define FL2STRING( x ) ( *QM( x ) == '"' ? ( const char * ) x : QM( x ) )

and you can print the FIXLEVEL always as a string with

printf( "%s\n", FL2STRING( FIXLEVEL ) );

even if FIXLEVEL was defined as an int.

Here's a short program that demonstrates that it works (and
the compilation doesn't emit any warnings, at least under gcc
with the warning level set to a rather sensitive value):

---------8<-----------------------------------

#include <stdio.h>

#define OLD 90
#define NEW "92sp2"

#define _QM( x ) #x
#define QM( x ) _QM( x )
#define FL2STRING( x ) ( *QM( x ) == '"' ? ( const char * ) x : QM( x ) )

int main( void )
{
    printf( "%s\n", FL2STRING( OLD ) );
    printf( "%s\n", FL2STRING( NEW ) );
    return 0;
}

Sorry for the extra work I created for you! I wish you nice holidays
and a happy new year.
                             Best regards, Jens