Re: [XBoard-devel] XBoard 4.9.0 release

From: H.G. Muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] XBoard 4.9.0 release
Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 09:31:52 +0200

This looks like the line simply gets clipped because of insufficient buffer size. And on trying to activate it, it might be clipped even shorter than on writing. Encountering an invalid option name still is a fatal error when the options were not coming from a settings file (where recovery is possible by skipping to the next line, and where it was pretty annoying that after running a newer test version of WinBoard, the old version would crash because of the new options it did not knowthat were stored in the settings file). The "logout" is now always sent to an ICS after a fatal error, to prevent the ICS from starting a new game when XBoard is waiting for user confirmation of the fatal-error popup before actually exiting (which you would then forfeit on time).

I will check which buffers the theme definition passes through, and enlarge those. It would of course also be helpful if at some point (e.g. creating the line in the -themeNames option in LoadTheme()) XBoard would recognize the long path names obtained from the file chooser as being in its DATADIR (which here is "/Applications/Chess/Xboard/XBoard.app/Contents/Resources/share/xboard"?), and replace it by ~~. This would of course not help against general use of long path names, but it would surely make the theme lines more readable in the typical case:

"Marble(Blue)" -ubt true -lbtf "~~/themes/textures/Transparent/stone-marble2-texture.png" -dbtf "~~/themes/textures/Transparent/stone-marble1-texture.png" -lbtm 1 -dbtm 1 -lsc #cbdce1 -dsc #1b6883 -ub false -upf false -pid "~~/themes/Habsburg" -trueColors false -wpc #ededed -bpc #000000 -hsc #fff826 -phc #FF0000