Re: [XBoard-devel] Development release

From: h . g . muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Development release
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2016 17:46:38 +0100

Op Wo, 9 maart, 2016 3:52 pm schreef Joshua Pettus:
> ... Really I like
> your Online HTML documentation better.  The screenshots really help out
> to describe the features, and is just more readable and visually
> appealing overall.

Well, if they bring up the help text by clicking on the items, they don't
need a screenshot, because they are seeing the real thing. In general I
like tutorial better than item-by-item reference manuals, though. But
doingone doesn't exclude doing the other. I experimented a bit this
morning, and it was pretty simple to make a popup appear with the name of
the item for every button3 click on the text before a text edit / spin
control, behind a checkbox, in a button, or of a menu item. Only in the
latter case there is a 'cost', because button3 clicks normally also
activate a menu. (But in exactly the same way as a button1 click, so I
suppose we can live with that.) For theother button3 clicks were
completely ignored. Only text label Options are tricky. XBoard uses those
in some places as header above a listbox or editable text memo, and we
would like clicking those result in help for the listbox. But clocks are
also labels, and they already have their own handler for button3 clicks
(adjusting the time). So we could not do it on all labels, but that
doesn;t have to stop us from doing it on all labels that have no dedicated
click handler attached to them.

I will start a help branch in the hgm.nubati repository for this, but I am
tempted to still include in in 4.9.0.

What is the status of the texi file anyway? Are there translation groups
that translate it, or do they limit themselves to only translating strings
in the program?