Re: [XBoard-devel] feedback on the documentation and gui

From: H.G. Muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] feedback on the documentation and gui
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 23:09:53 +0100

Svetlana Tkachenko schreef op 12/30/2014 om 9:31 PM:
0) Thank you, nice appearance of the board and the clock. You excel here more
than any online web site or any other desktop chess software.
Thank you for the appreciation!
1) I find it hard to click the menus. I have to hold the mouse button,
otherwise they disappear. I believe this is known issue (you are working on a
GTK version. Oh well, I am using GNUStep and someone needs to write another
version for that, but such is desktop life.)
This is an intrinsic property of the Athena widget set (Xaw). The GTK build of version 4.8.0 is considered as stable as the Xaw build, and GTK menus do not have this property. So you might want to build after doing "./configure --with-gtk".
2) I find it VERY hard to alter any settings. I do not understand what level of
the computer engine is (easy, intermediate, hard).
Which engine are you talking about? The terms 'easy', 'intermediate', 'hard' do not occur in any XBoard menu, they must be engine-specific. Do you find them in the Engine #N Settings dialog?
3) I liked the documentation. It is nice and thorough.
4) But the documentation does not go through the engine or XBoard setting
windows.
Do you mean the Engine #N Settings dialog? This is generated on specification by the engine, XBoard has no idea what the controls there mean, and just passes any user changes there on to the engine, which does with them whatever it wants. If the items there need to be documented, it would have to be in the engine's documentation, because what you see there would be different for any engine.
5) The documentation ought to be in multiple languages. I believe many GNU
projects do it using GNUN (GNU United Nations), but I don't know how to use it.
If you set up the architecture, I'll happily translate the website and the
manual to Russian.
GNU has a translation project to make translations of their software. I don't know if they also do documentation. We (the XBoard developers) are not really involved in that. It would be best to coordinate with them. Perhaps Arun knows how this should be done.