[XBoard-devel] info/man.command stopped by gatekeeper

From: Joshua Pettus
Subject: [XBoard-devel] info/man.command stopped by gatekeeper
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 14:50:32 -0500

Hello Everyone,

As had explained before,  OSX’s terminal app couldn’t take arguments from the
command line.  So to counter that, I came up with the solution of using the
OS’s feature of automatically opening terminal when opening a .command script.
This was in order to pass the arguments to load the man/info pages.

There is one major flaw to this though.  Gatekeeper by default blocks
executables not codesigned until the user gives the go ahead.  Apparently
.command scripts count. :-(  Normally this is done by right clicking on the
executable, selecting open, and press open in the popup dialog (only needs to
be done once).  But in the case of xboard launching those scripts, the user
doesn’t have that option. So they have to go into system preferences and allow
the last item blocked, or disable gatekeeper.  Hardly an Ideal situation.

The other option of telling the terminal app to run a shellscript is through
applescript, which until now I didn’t believe could be put into our source.
Thankfully I came across a very useful shell command called osascript that does
this, and the multiple lines, typical of applescript, could be put into one
line with -e between commands.

As such I removed the launching scripts and put applescript into manproc and
infoproc to do the job. I fear this meant I had to move infoproc to
gtk/xboard.c (and xaw/xboard.c) in order to take advantage of the dataDir
function in place.  (Thanks Harm, you are teaching me well XD.)

Here is a patch file making all the changes plus modifying our app build script.

I think i should put out a xboard 4.8.0c with these changes, if you all agree
with them.

Best Regards,
Josh