Re: [XBoard-devel] possible gettext solution

From: H.G. Muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] possible gettext solution
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 10:29:42 +0200

Before testing this (as I will soon do), I also wanted to submit what I cooked up, for testing by others that have higher gettext versions. I posted this at

http://hgm.nubati.net/gettexttest.tar.gz

This is a DISTRIBUTION tar ball, made through 'make dist' on my system, after I gettextized (-f) the project for 0.17, and deleted m4/*. For me this builds without problems (as expected) after unpacking the tar ball in a fresh directory, starting with ./configure. I am curious whether it will also work for people that have a different gettext than 0.17 version installed.

I think it is important to make sure that making a distro tar ball on a machine with one gettext version and building it on one with another works, because that is eventually what we want to do. That is works on the same machine as where you invoke ./autogen.sh is IMO not conclusive evidence, as ./autogen.sh seems to take the liberty to mess with the gettext macros.

One thing that I noticed is that configure.ac now contains
AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION([0.17])
(with extra square brackets); I have no idea whether this is significant. Of course the po/Makefile.in.in now also contains
GETTEXT_MACRO_VERSION = 0.17
I also noticed that in this file there is a comparizon between $(GETTEXT_MACRO_VERSION) and @GETTEXT_MACRO_VERSION@ that triggers the "infrastructure mismatch" message when different, and that in po/Makefile.in the same line occurs with the @...@ changed into a hard 0.17.
aclocal.m4 contains
AC_SUBST([GETTEXT_MACRO_VERSION], [0.17])

More about the other solutions later.
H.G.