Re: [XBoard-devel] XBoard 4.7.3: Full board textures + maximize window

From: H.G. Muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] XBoard 4.7.3: Full board textures + maximize window
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 00:09:39 +0200

Sorry for accidentally hitting send...

Sebastian Pipping schreef op 9/16/2014 10:23 PM:
I just tried using a 1800x2000 Xiangqi board image as a texture for a
fullscreen window on a 1920x1080 display.  The result looks anything but
sane, so enlarging the board image does not seem to solve the rendering
problem.  Since you put so much of your energy into Xiangqi support with
*Board, I'm rather surprised that playing Xiangqi in fullscreen with a
Chinese board (like most people would) is not supported.
That is worrysome, as this is supposed to work with the current XBoard. With your monitor resolution a full-screen board must surely be much smaller than 1800x2000.
In what way doesn't it look sane? Can you show a screenshot?
Giving users new smart options (what you proposed) rather than an option
to control directly, what they really want to change, is the wrong road
if you ask me.  With the amount of options in *Board as of today, I
don't see how adding one more would make any real difference.
Any option that you have to frequently change is an annoyance. What you propose is an option that you would have to change all the time when you change between XQ and another variant, because only XQ is likely to use a full-board texture bitmap.
So to me all this sounds like (1) you'd be happy to support infinitely
large boards made from enlarge-and-cut marble/wood single-field textures
and (2) you consider Xiangqi and fullscreen display corner cases.
While (1) is cool, status quo on Western chess doesn't to really /need/
patching now.  I came here for (2), which does need patching.
It does certainly need patching if the larger bitmap does not help. But you seem to get other results on this as Joshua. I will try it tomorrow myself.

Regards,
H.G.

Best,

Sebastian