Re: [XBoard-devel] (no subject)

From: Tim Mann
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] (no subject)
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 16:14:17 -0700

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 10:55 AM, h.g. muller <address@hidden> wrote:
At 12:35 28-8-2013 -0700, Tim Mann wrote:
IIRC, it always did that. It predates the existence of auto flip view as an option. It seems OK to me to change it.

OK, I looked somewhat deeper into it, and it seems that there are two variables controlling the view, flipView
(which represents the actual view, and is changed when you change the POV) and appData.flipView (which holds
the command-line option for this). New Game ('Reset') copies appData.flipView to flipView. So it is as if the
command-line option defines a default view to which you change every time you start a new game. (Even if
autoFlipView is off.)

This is a bit weird,

Hmm, yes. That sounds familiar now. I don't remember why I thought that was a good idea. It *might* have been for cmail, when you are black in a correspondence game, but that's just a guess at this point. Anyway, cmail shouldn't matter anymore. I doubt anyone uses it, and it's probably broken if you haven't been testing it -- assuming you didn't already delete it.

but it still enables one to see the board from black POV always, by using -flip on the
command line. Downside is that there is no way to alter appData.flipView from the menus. Perhaps I should
also change appData.flipView whenever flipView changes by menu action (but not when the latter changes
by auto-flipping). Then an intentionally chosen view would be preserved even over a New Game.

That sounds a lot more consistent with how other options work. I like it.