Re: [XBoard-devel] gcc warnings

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] gcc warnings
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 14:43:48 +0100

At 14:23 16-4-2012 +0200, Byrial Jensen wrote:
"-Wno-parentheses" means that warnings suggesting parentheses which were otherwise enabled by -Wall are turned off. So what Arun suggested was to enable the suite of warnings enabled by -Wall except for warnings about parentheses.

Generally -Wno-somethning will turn off warnings of type -Wsomething.

Oh sorry, then I misunderstood that completely. I thought the warning would warn if there were no parentheses. I am absolutely fine with the other warnings. Although I sometimes encounter an annoying one about library functions declared with 'warn-unused-result' (or something like that). If I am not interested in the result, I don't think the code would improve very much by fooling it into thinking I am. And not being interested in the result is often a sign of laziness or it not being clear beforehand how to solve possible error conditions. In that case patching it up by casting to (void) or some other trick only serves to hide permananetly what could be a genuine problem, so that you now know for sure it will be never fixed.

So I am all for deleting unused variables, whose presence is an errror or legacy of now rewritten code. Deleting unused functions IMO is already of more doubtful use, if the finctions are part of a generally useful infra-structure. But silencing errors that have a vague ring of truth to them by a meaningless trick is probably something that is better to refrain from.