Re: [XBoard-devel] forgot to mention

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] forgot to mention
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 15:27:19 +0100

If the links later can become clickable, it would be good if also such extra links in translations are handled.

I don't know how to make clickable links in an Xaw widget.

I did figure out what command to issue, though:

xdg-open http://....

does open a new tab in the default browser for the mentioned URL. (Mentioning a local file, however, opened it in gedit, whih is indeed what happens on my system when I double-click a .html file, but which is not what we want.) It does require that the xdg-utils are installed, however.

I pushed a trial patch to hgm.nubati.net (master branch), which tries two methods to invoke the xdg-open command:

One is buttons in the About Box (now redone with the generic popup): "XBoard Home" and "What's New?". (I linked the What's New directly to the 4.6.0 page; this is after all 4.6.0...) The other is an extra menu item "On-line User Guide". Probably we should use one system or the other consistently, this is just to enable us to see what we like better. I would go for the menu, I think. (Then there would also be little reason to redo the About Box, other than that eventually I want to redo all dialogs with GenericPopUp to limit the effort of porting to other platforms.to just porting that single popup.)

Btw, I think an on-line user guide is quite environmentally unfriendly, as every user is likely to use it at least once, and more likely a few dozen times. So it would be much better to get it to him in the initial download, where it will be zipped as well.