[XBoard-devel] Direct commands

From: h.g. muller
Subject: [XBoard-devel] Direct commands
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 12:30:28 +0100

Unfortunately one of my patches broke something.
I overlooked that Arun had also assigned the direct engine commands
to Ctrl+1 and Ctrl+2, so when I re-assiged Ctrl+. to <Enter> I commented
out Aruns changes to read out the Ctrl key, because I thought all 'non-existing' Ctrl combination had been gone, and I wated to avoid unnecessary X-server calls.

These lines should be uncommented again.

That is, if we really want to keep those commands. WinBoard does not have them,
and IMO allowing the user to send an arbitrary string to the engine serves little
other purpose than giving him unlimited power to wreck things. It is something
you would do as a hack at a time where the protocol is very incomplete and
poorly defined, so that many engines support lots of features not supported by
the protocol, all in a different way. But the current protocol is well developed,
and should allow an engine author to implement any feature he wants using
standard protocol (through option features) with nice support in GUI dialogs.
So there is no need for these direct commands, and their existence could
encourage engine authors to make their engines depend on them, rather
than using standard protocol.

So I propose to remove the key bindings, or even to drop them altogether.
In that case the Ctrl-key lines can remain commented.