Re: [XBoard-devel] gtk-branch

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] gtk-branch
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 19:10:26 +0100

At 10:32 11-11-2011 +0000, John Cheetham wrote:
I did a change which I think improves the piece animation. The overlay piece routine was being called OK to draw the piece yet the piece didn't appear on the screen. I added an iteration of mainloop after the piece is drawn and this has improved it. Also the start square wasn't set so it wasn't being cleared properly.

Hmm, its starts to sound a bit too much like black magic, for my taste...

But indeed there is an improvement. I use -animateSpeed 500, and what I see now is this:

1) the piece moves instantly to its to-square
2) at the same time the arrow is drawn (I have arrow highlighting on)
3) A new piece appears on the from-square
4) The piece on the to-square stays there as well
5) Only the arrow head on the to-square remains; the rest of the arrow is erased.
6) The piece on the from square now starts moving
7) Sometimes animation frames still seem to be missing, although most are drawn now 8) When the Aimated piece fially coalesces with its fore-runner on the to-square, the arrow is redrawn

The blast waves of atomic captures are still not all drawn (I counted 6 now).
There is something fishy there anyway, because they don't look like colored disks, but there is an extra circle around them (already from the next-larger animation frame?)