Re: [XBoard-devel] gtk-branch

From: Arun Persaud
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] gtk-branch
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 10:16:37 -0700

Hi

On 10/20/2011 08:20 AM, h.g. muller wrote:
> I have pulled the gtk-xt branch, and renamed the svg fairy pieces
> produced by Arun in an applicable way (as requested). I tried my
> hand at making some of them available in XBoard, and this sort
> of worked. Initially it made XBoard crash whenI switched to variant
> gothic. So I commented out the cases in the switch statement that
> enabled their use, and the crash went away. And then I uncommented
> the lines one by one, and the crash stayed away! Except that it still
> crashes sometimes when I switch to gothic,complaining about an
> invalid image. But not always; most of the time it works, and I get to
> see the new pieces as intended. So I suppose the crashes are
> not related to my patch.

yep, there is still X-code in there which, since I started removing it,
will now lead to some crashes... Overall we are making progress removing
the old X-code though and by now we can already run XBoard using the
gtk_main() loop... so we are getting there ;)

> Anyway, I pushed it to hgm.nubati.net, and as far as I am concerned
> it can goto savannah.

Thanks for updating the names, I'll merge your commits in later today...

> Other issues I noticed:
>
> I noticed that animate dragging now works. Except that the detour-
> under promotion ('Almost aways promote to Queen') does not seem
> to work. The Pawn changes to Queen when you pick it up, as
> intended, but it does not change to other pieces when I pull it back,
> and I cannot put it on the to-square even when I move it there directly.
> Part of this is explainable from the ChangeDragPiece routine not yet
> being GTKnized, but I don't understand why it refuses the Queen.
>
> Animate moving does work, but with very erratic artifacts. They get
> more easily visible when you set Animate Speed to 500 (in the
> general options dialog).
>
> I did play a gothic chess game between two instances of fairymax,
> and at the point where one of them promoted, XBoard crashed.

It's probably not worth testing too much with old X-calls still in the
source... I'll post again once we removed it all and then we need to
test all the features, etc to make sure everything works...

cheers
        ARUN