Re: [XBoard-devel] 4.5.3 is out

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] 4.5.3 is out
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2011 10:21:46 +0200

At 19:51 3-10-2011 -0700, Arun Persaud wrote:
hmm, should we leave things as they are or push another release out?

Perhaps we should add a know bug section to the 4.5.3 web page and
mention the solution there, e.g. get the latest git...

I think it would be better not to leave any tar balls on the download page
that won't even compile; this serves absolotely no purpose other than
cause problems.

The easiest solution is to just make a new tar ball from two commits
after the 4.5.3 tag. The XBoard files would be absolutely the same,
so maintainers of Linux distros cannot be confused by the fact that
three WinBoard files donot exactly correspond to what was in git at the
4.5.3 tag. Almost no one compiles WinBoard from source, and when
they do, they would get the download tar ball, and not download a
tagged version from git. The only reason to download from git would be
to get the latest version, which would also be no problem. As this fixes
a bug in a patch that is already announced in the NEWS file, there is
no reason to change the NEWS.

An alternative would be todo an immediate 4.5.3a release, including the
two commits that fixed WinBoard. But I would still want to remove the
defective tar ball from the download page in that case.