Re: [XBoard-devel] mime types

From: Arun Persaud
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] mime types
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2011 14:34:37 -0700

> [mime types]

found out how to set mime-types... unfortunately, this doesn't include
setting command line options... so I'm still looking around a bit to see
if this is possible...

The way it normally works is that in the .desktop file you define a
mimetype, like application/x-foo, and then in another file you can
define a glob-pattern and associate it with a mime type, e.g.
*trn->application/x-foo. During the package installation you can call
programs that take the desktop file and the mime-info file and add it to
a global system wide list...

Later if you click on a *trn file, it looks up the mime-type and then
tries to find an application that fits that type... I guess the
advantage of the double look-up is that you can locally change the
program you want to use for a certain mime-type...

As I mentioned I haven't figured out how to set command line options.
One way would be to create more executables that already include the
command line options, e.g.

xboardtournament = 'xboard -mm -ncp -saveSettingsOnExit false -tf'

and then associate a mime-type specially for this executable.

Anyway, I think this is needs some testing and therefore should probably
go into master and perhaps gtk, but not in 4.5.3

If anyone has some input on this that would be great ;)

ARUN