Re: [XBoard-devel] gtk update

From: Michel Van den Bergh
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] gtk update
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 10:38:29 +0200

On 06/15/2011 10:26 AM, h.g. muller wrote:
Well, I have upgraded 8.04 to 10.04 (it is possible to do that in 1 step,
because both are "long-term-stable versions"), after installing 257 updates
for 8.04 (which you are required to do first). I just let it do the 2.5
hours of
downloading required for this overnight.

Unfortunately, the upgrade apparently did not conserve my WLAN settings,
because the 10.04 does not seem to have a network connection anymore.
I have no idea how to fix this; I could summon up a dialog for setting up a
VPN,
and there is a "wireless" tab in it, but it asks for all kind of things I
haven't
the slightest idea of what they mean (like SSID, BSSID). So I am kind of
stuck now.

I could not try compiling the gtk-xt version yet, because that branch was
not tracked by local git, and I cannot download anything now.

Normally this is handled by NetworkManager. Clicking on
the NetworkManager icon (somewhere in the top panel) should show you a list of access points.

If NetworkManager doesn't show anything then perhaps wireless is turned off?

Otherwise dmesg might show you some error message related to wireless.