[XBoard-devel] Xboard GTK on Windows

From: K12
Subject: [XBoard-devel] Xboard GTK on Windows
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 19:57:39 +0100 (BST)

>From the recent posts it seems there are issues with the xboard GTK branch.
>Nevertheless I thought I would play around with it and see what the issues are
>with porting xboard GTK versions to windows.

I have made a version that works on cygwin (see
http://www.johncheetham.com/files/xboard/xboard-gtk-20110609.zip). This
includes a windows executable and instructions in README-CYGWIN for compiling
and running on cygwin. Of course it still compiles on Linux with gtk >= 2.16.

The main thing I noticed with cygwin is that to run GTK programs (even hello
world) you need to run the cygwin X server. Cygwin includes the X packages
including xaw etc so you could probably run the mixed version as well, though I
haven't tried it.

Having to start an X server could put some users off though. Instead of cygwin
I had wanted to use the mingw compiler which is described as the 'natural'
choice on www.gtk.org. You can use it as a cross-compiler to compile the
windows executable on Linux. It's not POSIX though so it means there are a lot
more coding changes needed than with cygwin.

John Cheetham