Re: [XBoard-devel] getaddrinfo()

From: Tim Mann
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] getaddrinfo()
Date: Sun, 1 May 2011 20:16:03 -0700

Thanks for poking me again. I worked on it this evening and have just
pushed a commit into git that makes us use getaddrinfo. I don't think
it really adds value right now because AFAIK none of the chess servers
use IPv6 or have more than one IP address. But it's still good to do
for future readiness.

The current OpenTCP() API is a little awkward for this because it
wants to return an errno, but Posix IP name lookup doesn't return an
errno -- it returns an error code in a different space. That was an
issue before my change too, so I didn't make it worse. At least I
added the real error string to the debug log. (I almost displayed it
as a popup, but then you get two popups, one on top of the other, and
that is really crappy.)

If we still need to compile on older Unix-style systems that don't
have getaddrinfo, we'll have to pull the old code back out of git,
wrap #if HAVE_GETADDRINFO / #else / #endif around the two
implementations, and make sure the configure script has code to check
for getaddrinfo. I didn't do any of that on this checkin, sigh.