Re: [XBoard-devel] Promotion and piece menus

From: Arun Persaud
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Promotion and piece menus
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 16:58:27 -0700

On 04/07/2011 03:43 PM, Eric Mullins wrote:
> Another minute thinking about that and I have a better option.
>
> Place the buttons centered at the border between the queening square and
> the promoting pawn's square.  They could even be graphic, I suppose, to
> eliminate the language issue.

yep, graphics would be the preferred choice... not sure if displaying
them on the board is a good option... I guess it has the advantage that
you don't have to move your mouse far away and using the sweeping motion
it should be easy to change the pieces... the graphic could also have a
small border around it with  arrows to the left and right to indicate
that you can change pieces... my problem with placing it on the board is
that the size might be an issue... I wouldn't like to have a big piece
there and if your board is not big to begin with, adding a piece
inbetween that is is say a quarter of a square might become tiny...
that's why I think it would be better to put it next to the notifiaction
area... could also be keyboard controlled in that case and deactivated
if it's not needed... the advantage of Eric's idea is that it could be
specific per pawn in case you promote tons of pawns in a row ;) but then
again, as Eric mentioned most of the time you want a queen anyway :)

I attached a screenshot of what I'm thinking of. If there is no
promotion pending then the notification area would take all the space...

ARUN