[XBoard-devel] XBoard dialogs

From: h.g. muller
Subject: [XBoard-devel] XBoard dialogs
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 14:52:06 +0100

Now 4.5.x is satisfactory launched, I felt like some experimenting.
So I tried out an idea I got sometimes ago, to greatly facilitate adding
menu dialogs to XBoard. What I did was clone the Engine-Settings popup,
which of necessity was a table-driven dialog-layout generator, the table
being supplied by the engine. Instead I let it work now from pre-defined
tables of XBoard options, and adapted it to store any changes in the
correspondng XBoard variables (usually in appData), rather than sending
them to the engine.

This works like a charm! I created tables to implement 3 dialogs,
similar to the WinBoard Load-Game, Save-Game and ICS Options dialogs.
Some items that used to be in the main XBoard Options menu (which was
growing unweildly large) have been moved to there, and some things that
could not be set from menus at all (as the old Options menu could only
contain Boolean features) have been added. Adding menu items for future
new features has become totally trivial, and only require a single line in the
table.

Comboboxes do not work yet. (I had no example of the in these dialogs
to test on, so I did not bother.) Options whose setting should trigger an
action (like a redraw or sending something to the engine) also cannot be
implemented this way yet.

The patch is in a new branch "popups" of the hgm.nubati.net repository,
which sprouts from the hgm4.5.x branch.