Re: [XBoard-devel] WinBoard 64-bit

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] WinBoard 64-bit
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 11:32:48 +0100

Now that 32-bit systems are slowly dying out, more and more people
try to compile WinBoard as 64-bit application. And it seems there are
some issues there. One of those seems to be the use of
SetWindowLong / GetWindowLong. People reported they could
only compile on MSVC when they replaced this by
SetWindowLongPtr / GetWindowLongPtr.

I am not sure if this formal distinction between copying integers
or pointers already exists in 32-bit Windows (where these have
equal size). If so, it would be harmless to switch to the xxxPtr
versions of these API calls generally.

I am not sure that we would have to replace it everywhere.
Some calls seem to fetch non-pointer data (GWL_STYLE,
GWL_USERDATA). GWL_WNDPROC is obviously an address,
and I am not sure what GWL_ID is, and GWL_HINSTANCE is
probably a pointer as well.