[XBoard-devel] Menu organization

From: h.g. muller
Subject: [XBoard-devel] Menu organization
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 13:31:21 +0100

So far I have always refrained from changing anything in the menu structure.
But I must admit it is not very logical anymore: in time items have been added
to menus where they don't really belong. Perhaps we should rethink it,
and the release of 4.5.0 might be a good time to do that. (Shuffling around the
existing items is trivial, and not really bug prone, so we could still do it.)

One thing that strikes me as illogical is that the 'Mode' menu now contains
a lot of 'configuration itiems': entries to open and close other windows and dialogs
such as the Game List, Eval Graph, Edit Tags etc. Perhaps this should all go
to a separate main category 'Configuration' (or would there be a better name?
'View',perhaps?).

I am not sure if the items Load Next/Previous Game/Position in the 'File' menu
are still useful now that there is a Game List. (I must admit that I don't know
if the gamelist is used for position files,though; I never tried that).

The placing of Copy/Paste Game/Position in the 'File' menu is a bit unconventional.
Normally they would be in an 'Edit' menu,which we don't have. Would it be an
improvement to have one, end then also put 'Edit tags' and 'Edit Comment' in there, and perhaps 'Edit Game' and Édit Position' as well? I am in doubt about the latter
two, as they are so obviously belong amongst the modes as well, but it
would not be a problem to have duplicat menu items for the same function.

What do we think about this?