Re: [XBoard-devel] gtk version

From: Arun Persaud
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] gtk version
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 09:58:24 -0700

Hi

On 06/28/2010 01:36 AM, h.g. muller wrote:
Didn't have much time to work on it lately, but I did a bit today and
hope to have some time during the next two weeks. Here is a screen shot
of a GTK "Edit Tag" window. Let me know what you think.

The screenshot looks nice, but you make life hard on yourself using this
'cooked' approach.
XBoard and WinBoard used to have raw free-format text edits for entering
/ editing tags,
which were then interpreted by the PGN parser on submission.
This would work for all type of tags, even those not known to the parser.
(These are just copied verbatim, if they have the synax of a PGN tag.)

When the interface has to be aware of the tag types, this creates new
problems.
E.g. how can the user add a tag of a type that was not there yet?

True, but it shouldn't be hard to add a button for new tags, etc. It's relatively easy using the GTK widgets to do these things and I think it's also nicer than the raw text-edit and we could at one point also add validation for the entries...

Anyway, I just thought I do something easy to get back into the gtk thing, since I'm still far from being familiar with all the different widgets in gtk... will try my luck with some of the other windows next ;)

cheers
        ARUN