[XBoard-devel] tester needed

From: Arun Persaud
Subject: [XBoard-devel] tester needed
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 20:36:53 -0800

Me again

I think it would be great if we could get some more testers to build our
development version... well, I guess you never can have enough of them,
but during the last few versions we had some relatively stupid bugs that
we should have been able to catch with a bit more testing... (e.g. me
forgetting to package the windows sources).

I was wondering if there would be a better way for us to provide help
for testers. I was thinking of advertising a bit more on the web page
and ICS perhaps have better instruction on how to build xboard/winboard
online... perhaps we should also make more use of our bugtracker (create
items for bugs that are mentioned on this list for example).
A wiki might also be something useful... I could set one up on my domain
if people are interested (something like xboardwiki.nubati.net for example)

Perhaps the developer versions should output a text message on the
terminal (xboard) saying that something like: "This is a test release
version xyz of xboard. It might not run stable, if you have any problems
or find a bug, please report it <email list> or at the bugtracker
<link>. If you are looking for a stable version of xboard, please use
version <ABC>. you can get the latest stable version <here>."
So that it is easier for us to release buggy test-releases and don't
have to worry that they get distributed wildly and taken for the real
thing...

ARUN