Re: [XBoard-devel] Re: Fwd: Winboard Source missing sounds folder

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Re: Fwd: Winboard Source missing sounds folder
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 23:34:19 +0100

Right, that should work.  So, I think you just need to have "make
dist"/"make distcheck" depend on parser.c.  Hmm, but maybe there is an
issue with which directory the xboard and winboard makefiles expect
parser.c to be in.  I didn't check on that...

Indeed, the WinBoard make generates parser.c (like all its temporary files,
such as the *.o) in the winboard folder, while the XBoard make generates it
in the root. Perhaps this should be changed in the WinBoard makefile,
so that the two can use the same parser.c that we package.
(I suppose that we want to include it both for XBoard and WinBoard users,
i.e. supply a dist-clean package rather than a maintainer-clean package.
Perhaps the WinBoard .hlp file should be treated similarly.)

I actualy had to copy the XBoard parser.c and use it for WinBoard during
my holidy, because the laptop I had with me did not have the correct flex,
and when I changed parser.l it could not create a parser.c from it, and the
make utility though it was a very clever move to delete parser.c in that case,
knowing you had no means to generate a new one...

Funny thing is that the parser.c generated for XBoard gives one less warning
when you compile it under Cygwin!