Re: [XBoard-devel] git issues

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] git issues
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 23:27:15 +0100

I'd rather have ~/.config/xboard/xboard.conf. Testing if one directory
exists doesn't seem too much work for me ;) My second choice would be
~/.xboardrc.

Well, here is a version (in args2.tar.gz) which does not do that yet, but
is able to expand ~/xxx as settings-file name, fixes a bad bug in command-line
parsing, and removes some unshielded debug prints. Better commit this
xboard.c and args.c than the one I sent you previously; the intermediate
version is not interesting, just crippled.

I also attached a further development, as windowpos.tar.zip:
This patch makes a beginning with reading out actual window coordinates
in XBoard before saving settings, and restoring them when the window
is opened in a later session. This now works for the Main, Comment and
EngineOutput windows.
Affects: xboard.c and xengineoutput.c

This should in principle be done for all windows; problem is that the shell
widgets of GameList, Tags and MoveHistory window are not global, but
local to the .c files that implement these features, often hidden in structs
that are only defined there. So all these files need a minute patch to make
their shell widget accessible from xboard.c.

Another problem is that it does not seem to work properly! The windows
slowly drift to the lower right. Interrogating the window position of the Main
window, and then using those same coordinates to set the position of that
window do NOT make it pop up in the same place!

Regards,
H.G.