[XBoard-devel] EditGame clears resultDetails

From: h.g. muller
Subject: [XBoard-devel] EditGame clears resultDetails
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 19:49:13 +0100

Is there any special reason why switching to Edit-Game mode
clears the game result and resultDetails? I guess if you really are going
to edit the game by playing another move somewhere, the tail of the
game will disappear anyway, and the result with it. So it just speeds
up the unavoidable, although the user could change his mind,
and save the game unaltered after all (with spoiled tags).

But now that I allow the user to explore variations, perhaps for the
purpose of adding them as comments to the main line when he
reverts to the latter, it is a bit inconvenient that the result is already
gone even before I shelve the main line by entering a move.
I did include code to shelve result and resultDetails as well, and
restore them on Revert, but now there is nothing to save.

Would it break any other behavior when I defer the calling of
SetGameInfo() from EditGameEvent() until the user actually
alters the game? Perhaps I should shelve the entire gameInfo,
as when the user finally decides to Revert to the main line,
it ceases to be an "edited game", (although it might be a more
annotated one), and all the original tags would still be applicable?