Re: [XBoard-devel] Premove again

From: Arun Persaud
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Premove again
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 15:49:11 -0700

Hi

> My guess is that people that who complain it is not working, are
> trying to enter a recapture as premove. When you do that, the
> toSquare of the move still contains your own piece at the time you
> enter the premove, so it would be an own-piece capture. Now the logic
> for entering click-click moves is such that when you enter a
> capture-own, it takes the second click as a new fromSquare click in
> stead of a toSquare of a move that obviously would be illegal.

Is there an easy way to change this? Since I would guess that those
moves are often moves that you would like to premove in fast games.

Can we do something like this: for premoves just test if the piece can
in principle move there, independent of what's on the toSquare, that is
add a function  Then when we do the actual move, check for premoves, if
the move is valid, if yes do it, if no wait for new input...

> [...]One problem remains: In Chess960 it is conceivable that you have a setup
> with
> Ra1, Kb1, and that Ra1 is attacked, and that you would want to enter a premove
> Kb1xa1 to recapture. But if the opponent does not capture, this now would be
> interpreted as a castling premove. So unlike other recaptures, this would be
> an
> unsafe situation to enter premove; [...]

but this could happen all the time and I think is a risk you have to
live with when doing a premove... e.g. you could just premove a piece
(say advance a pawn) and the opponent makes a move you didn't anticipate
(say he takes your queen or just threatens to take your queen in the
next move) and then you do the premove, so instead of recapturing or
protecting your queen you just moved a pawn... using premove does have
risks and I think it's up to the user to decide if he wants to do it or
not...

cheers
     ARUN