Re: [XBoard-devel] 4.4.0 issues

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] 4.4.0 issues
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 07:36:24 +0200

First, let me repeat the sound problem I mentioned last time-- the new way of turning off move sounds is inconvenient. Not turning them off, but turning them back on. It was very easy in 4.2.7 to mute the board. That's something I do a lot too. I'm watching a GM game over on FICS for example, and need to silence winboard temporarily, but don't want to unobserve or quit.

So basically you want to see a "mute all sounds" check box added to the options -> sounds... menu?

Second, premove appears broken. Or maybe that's the wrong term, I'm not sure. But if I anticipate my opponent's move and move while he's thinking (planning on making that move regardless of what he does), this no longer works to move instantly after he moves. Maybe I'm missing an option or something, but this feature makes playing fast games on a chess server impossible with the new version.

1) Are you talking about WinBoard or XBoard here?
2) When you say "it no longer works to move instantly", do you mean it does move eventually?
    Or just that it doesn't do anything at all?
    Do you get the premove highlights when you selecta premove?

Third, I generally get messages from my bot on FICS by issuing: "Tell <account> messages" Then the bot then cycles through its messages, issuing a tell to me for each one. Because of the order xboard/winboard parse the ICS data, this is colorized not as a tell, but as a message. I think it should be a tell since it really is a tell, so I modified the order so it's colorized as a tell. What do you think? If you agree it's a tell, I'll just update the source in git to match my local change.

As I virtually never play on ICS, any opinion I have on this should probably be discounted.
I don't even know what a "message" is.

Note, however, that what is in git now lags very much behind compared to the versions I am using here, and will be committing in he future. So any changes you commit now are likely to be undone
when Arun is not careful when committing the updates I sent him weeks ago.