Re: [XBoard-devel] Future plans

From: Michel Van den Bergh
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Future plans
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 16:14:41 +0200

h.g. muller wrote:
> Ok. I was always under the impression that the aim was to create some generic mechanism by which the user > would be unaware that PG is being used internally to handle UCI engines. Apparently
> this was a communication problem.

Well, this is a good goal, but I just don't see how you could do it in this case.
The fact that two versions of the same engine can co-exist is only because
Polyglot allows it. With native WinBoard engines this would not be possible. The user would either have to install it under a different name of the executable,
or in a different folder.

I guess UCI engines could mimic that by using the -fd argument in the path
of the settings file. But it is an ugly kludge in the first place, so I am not sure it is worth mimicking. To make it possible in the scheme where Polyglot would derive the ini-file name from what the engine reports, it would need a new argument SettingsPath to make that possible. The default for this would then be _PG,
but WB could use the adapterCommand

meaning that the settings files will always be stored with the engine.
Ok,

If traditional config files will remain the standard way of interfacing with PG then I will change my version of PG in such a way that the primary config file and PersistenceFile
coincide.

In case PG is invoked with -noini then PG can make up the name of the config file by starting the engine
first (as I do currently).

As a special exception (for WB 4.4.0 compatibility) if PG is invoked as "polyglot polyglot_1st.ini" and "polyglot_2nd.ini" it would just treat the entries of these config files as command line arguments (which is what they were in the first place!) and pretend having been invoked
with -noini.

I think this would combine the positive aspects of the different approaches.