[XBoard-devel] Copy - Paste

From: h.g. muller
Subject: [XBoard-devel] Copy - Paste
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 18:14:27 +0200

I am getting increasingly unhappy with the assignment of accelerator keys
for copy and paste in previous WinBoard versions. The currently used keys
are Alt + C/V (Games) and Alt + Shift + C/V (Positions).

These Alt codes are non-standard, and the use of them here makes it much more
difficult to make a logical and systematic assignment in other places. Normally
Ctrl + C/V would be used.

Only in copying it is needed to tell WinBoard if it should copy the game or position to the clipboard. In line with the convention "shiftd = position, unshifted = game"
the command for Copy Position could then be migrated to Ctrl + Shift + C .
For pasting WinBoard is smart enough to see if a game or a postion is on the
clipboard, although for symmetry we coul allow both Ctrl + V and Ctrl + Shift + V
to be universal paste commands.

Would users lynch us if we stop supporting the Alt + C/V accelerators for copy
and paste?