[XBoard-devel] Button-bar focus

From: h.g. muller
Subject: [XBoard-devel] Button-bar focus
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2009 12:34:44 +0200

I hope Tim can answer this:

We uncovered some mysterious behavior when testing WB for JAWS,
where one is completely dependent on key strokes to operate it, as the blind
cannot use a pointing device like a mouse. The behavior is not specific
to the JAWS version, but likely unnoticed by normal (mouse) users.

It seems WB makes a lot of effort to put focus on the button bar when
you leave the ICS interaction console with a TAB command. There is
a special event handler ButtonProc(), to make sure that Left and Right
Arrow keys cycle through the buttons in this state, and that Enter activates the selected one. There is no direct provision to get out of this mode and get focus
back onto the main window (although you can TAB back to the ICS window),
e.g. to activate the main menu bar for changing option settings.
The only other exit from this state is through invoking the move type-in dialog,
(by typing an alpha-numeric character) and then quitting it.

Why does this feature exist at all? We have accelerator keys defined for
the buttons (Alt + Left / Right / Up / Down in the standard version).
It seems much simpler to have TAB from the ICS console give focus
to the main window, and use these key strokes to activate the step functions
directly than to use the arrows to navigate through the buttons before you can
activate them.

Can I savely remove all code for this, "inter-button navigation" or do you recall
special reasons why it was introduced and should better be kept?

H.G.