Re: [XBoard-devel] Re: webpages for xboard

From: Tim Mann
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Re: webpages for xboard
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 20:03:05 -0700

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 11:52:00 +0200, "h.g. muller" <address@hidden> wrote:
> At 00:35 30-6-2009 -0700, Tim Mann wrote:
> >Actually, looking at the recent messages, people are still coming there
> >to ask about the protocol sometimes.  Let's keep the group around
> >and keep a link to it from whatever page(s) we end up having for engine
> >authors.  We should point them to the WinBoard Forum too, though, since
> >that's more active.
>
> I think that is a very bad idea. I never visited the yahoo chess-engines
> group,
> and do not intend to do so in the future. I want to keep any discussion as
> centralized as possible. Even if the developers would always be at both sites,
> it would be very undesirable to have disjoint groups of engine authors
> discussing without knowing about each other, and each other's proposals.
> The usefulness of discussion grows as the square of the number of
> participants.
>
> It seems unfair to send people to a place where their remarks and proposals
> will
> be utterly ignored. So I think it should be clearly specified that if they
> post
> something at yahoo, no one will look at it for months, while if they post
> at WB
> forum, they might have 24-hour service for downloading a new alpha version
> implementing their suggestion. Only if every link to yahoo goes accompanied by
> such a warning, I would be in favor of including such links,

Well, people have not been making proposals on that list, just asking
"how do I do this?" or "what does this mean?" questions, and they
usually get a quick answer from someone else on the list or from me.

However, I'm fine with putting a notice on the Yahoo group that people
should go to the WinBoard forum instead.  I'll do that.

--
Tim Mann  address@hidden  http://tim-mann.org/