Re: [XBoard-devel] www.tim-mann.org

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] www.tim-mann.org
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 09:19:42 +0200

At 19:46 4-6-2009 -0700, Tim Mann wrote:
Here's a suggestion: gradually change the documentation to point to
http://www.gnu.org/software/xboard, after putting a small placeholder
page there.  The placeholder should have some basic info and a links to
places to go for more info, such as
http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/xboard/, the WinBoard Forum, and
probably my old pages.  Then when/if someone has the time and
motivation, they can replace the placeholder page with a more extensive
web site.

I like the idea of the place holder. It provides an immediate solution,
from which we could then gradually expand.

Perhaps the place holder should go both on the gnu/software site,
as well as physically replacing www.tim-mann.org/xboard.html ,
so that all existing links on the internet (including the prime link
Google gives to people who search for "xboard") will automatically
be made to bring people to this "XBoard portal". There they then get
offered a choice to go to the old (or updated) tim-mann.org/xboard.html,
gnu.org/software, the WB forum, the WBEC or RWBC sites (for engines),
and whatever other download mirrors we would want to set up. The
"manual.html" page we now have in the tree would also be a useful
page on the gnu.org/software site.

Note that the way we used to distribute XBoard for Linux is becoming a
bit outdated; Linux users nowaday expect to rely on the packaging system
to download software and solve dependencies, by typing "apt-get install".
A Debian package for XBoard would probably not contain the WinBoard stuff.
So we should continue to host sources for WinBoard anyway, and Linux
users should be able to build and install an XBoard from source with it.

I don't really have a WinBoard section on my own website, just a page with
some screenshots (mostly of variants). We probably should combine that with
Alessandro's page on Winboard_x, and the "manual.html" in the source tree,
to quickly get a site advertizing the new features of this XBoard (since 4.2.7).

Regards,
H.G.