Re: [XBoard-devel] Bundling WinBoard 4.4

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Bundling WinBoard 4.4
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 16:54:41 +0200

At 14:40 17-4-2009 +0200, Daniel Mehrmann wrote:
Hi !

I fully agree with Tim here !

Xboard is a part of the large GNU-Project and that shouldn't be ignored. The maintask of X-/Winboard is still playing chess over the internet and viewing games.

Hi Daniel! Good to see you here!

I don't think that I denied that, but if that is the case, why include a chess engine at all? The question of what engine(s) best to include only depends on the fraction of users
that want to use a chess engine, no matter how small that fraction is.

So the question is: what kind of users are this, and what do they typically want to use the engine for. Do they want to analyze games from file or ICS with it? Do they want to play it against itself or other engines and watch and learn? Do they want to play against it by themselves? If so, what level would they prefer? I think these are very valid questions.

I think taking the stance "we are GNU, so we must push whatever other GNU product, no matter what" is a good idea. Quality and service should be the guiding principles.

It might be hurts X-/Winboard if people starts developing on X-/Winboard with the own only focus on "computerchess" and all related topics with that. You're guys losing the view, the reality, how and why Xboard is used today from ten-thousands of people out there.

Still the wrong question. We should ask why it is NOT used by millions of people out there. If ICS users are our principle market, we are losing big there to Dasher and BabasChess. Virtually no ICS user would consider WinBoard a serious ICS interface as long as it would not implement a seek graph, and you have to type "tell JohnDoe" for every sentence
you want to communicate.

But the main point is that nothing I proposed in any way would degrade the attractiveness of X/WinBoard for ICS users. Of course the bundle would contain timestamp.exe and timeseal.exe, and shortcuts to logon to ICC and FICS. The Gold Pack has those too.
It even provides a zippy shortcut.

At least i like the idea of an additional installer over the net :)

Best,
Daniel