[XBoard-devel] Bundling WinBoard 4.4

From: h.g. muller
Subject: [XBoard-devel] Bundling WinBoard 4.4
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 17:53:01 +0200

I already raised this point in a private mail to Arun, but I would like to put it up for
discussion in public. It is about the bundling strategy used for the distribution of the
WinBoard executable. For XBoard this is not an issue, as Linux users do not
appreciate bundling and rely on the package depency mechanism to acquire their
software. But for WinBoard bundling is really essential, as Windows users are in
general tot capable to install anything that does not come with the initial install.
So important components, like Polyglot, must not be missing. In addition, we should
provide data files for some of the new features to be usable in the install, such as
bitmaps for the board texture, and an opening book.

From the e-mail extchange between Arun and me:

------------------------ quote -----------------------
> I think 4.2.8 comes with some sort of windows installer, do you know anything  about this?

I have seen that, and I guess I have even used it first time I installed WinBoard on
one of my systems (which must have been in 2006). But I positively hate installers,
and since that first install, I only copy winboard.exe files from one PC to another.
(Note that I did ignore the entry where Chessknight did the initial logging of the
installer files in the CVS.)

Anyway, the way the installer would install WinBoard on a Windows PC looks nothing
like the way I distribute WinBoard 4.3.15. For one, it contains the GNU Chess engines,
which I think we should really abandon. GNU Chess might have been of interest and even
instrumental at the conception of XBoard, but today it is just a mediocre Chess engine
amongst many hundreds. It is not particularly good (there are free engines that are
more than 500 Elo stronger, even as open source), it is not particularly small, (strongly
driving up the size of the download), it does not play any variants except 'normal'...
So to dump not one, but even two versions of it on every WinBoard user is really silly.

OTOH, much of the essential supporting software is missing in the 4.2.7 install. Poor
bundling is one of the main causes of the demise of WinBoard as main Chess interface
on Windows. For the average Windows user that would benefit from an installer, having
to download supporting software is a real show stopper, as in general they would not
know where to find it, or where to put it to make it work with WinBoard. So they cannot
run any UCI engines because they lack Polyglot. They cannot run engine tournaments
because they lack a Tournament Manager. So they turn to other GUIs that have these
functions as intrinsic features.

For this reason we created the 'WinBoard Gold Pack', (downloadble from WinBoard forum)
which contains a complete installation tree of ready-to-run executables, containing not only
WinBoard (as executable), but aso Polyglot, PSWBTM, an opening book, an example
WB engine and an example UCI engine, example bitmap files for board textures, PGN
and EPD files with test positions, etc. In other words, all the stuff they badly need, in stead
of the stuff they don't care about from the 4.2.7 installer package.

As example WB engine in the Gold Pack I use Fairy-Max, because:
1) it is tiny (some 100KB uncompressed including all docs, only 35KB for the engine proper).
2) it plays many variants next to noarmal Chess (Gothic Chess, Shatranj, Courier Chess etc.).

So I want to propose a new bundling strategy for WinBoard 4.4.1 (compared to 4.2.7), abandoning
GNUChess, including Polyglot and an opening book, and perhaps a true-type Chess font