Re: [XBoard-devel] chess fonts

From: Jason Dorje Short
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] chess fonts
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 16:17:30 -0500

Tim Mann wrote:
On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 12:13:13 -0500, Jason Dorje Short <address@hidden> wrote:

I'm trying to get GPL'd images for chess pieces in SVG format.

(Background: my chess program loads the SVG images at runtime. This allows dynamic resizing of the chess pieces as the window resizes - a very nice effect. The current images I have were created from the xboard bitmaps using autotrace; however this doesn't give very good results. So I have the choice of finding graphics somewhere or attempting to draw them myself.)

The README in xboard's bitmaps directory claims that the metafont sources for the chess bitmaps may be obtained from the original author (Elmar Bartel) under the GPL. However this notice is 10 years old. Does anyone now have a copy of these metafont sources? If so I would like a copy (which I will try to put into SVG using fontforge, which I think is possible although I have little experience with this).

Did you try asking Elmar or are you just assuming that everything times
out after 10 years?  Anyway, I still have a copy of the elch metafont
sources too.  I'll attach it.

I e-mailed him right before sending my mail to the list, but I haven't gotten a reply. Thanks for your quick response.

Finally I'd suggest that if possible xboard/winboard should also load and render the SVG files directly at runtime. My program uses GTK and GDK, so loading SVG is trivial using librsvg. Using XAW I have no idea what, if any, library xboard could use for this.

Nor do I.  Are you interested in finding out and contributing the code
to do it?  Otherwise suggesting that xboard "should" do something
usually won't get you far.

Naturally.

For rendering SVG in X11 Cairo looks like the only solution, but I don't think it is mature enough yet to add as a hard requirement. Another alternative, of course, is "upgrading" xboard to use GTK.

Another thing to note is that xboard's bitmaps are somewhat hand-tuned.
The smaller sizes are tweaked a lot, and even many of the larger ones
are at least hand-centered (though the centering would of course be
feasible to automate).  metafont just doesn't do that perfect a job, and
the last time I used it, at least, it didn't do any anti-aliasing.

SVG files can easily be hand-tuned in this way. Inkscape (or Sodipodi) makes an excellent editor for improving the images.

jason