Re: [XBoard-devel] Re: Internationalization question

From: Tim Mann
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Re: Internationalization question
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 22:38:39 -0800

It's easy to decide between these two options.  It has to be (1), not
(2), because xboard and WinBoard share a lot of code, some of which
contains strings that must be internationalized.  For example, backend.c
contains such strings.  We're not going to split that code into two
versions, one for xboard that uses gettext and one for WinBoard that
gets its strings from a Windows resource file.

It would be nice if there were also options that allowed us to use
gettext uniformly for everything: (3) Use gettext on the .rc file too,
or (4) Move all strings out of the rc file into a C file and use gettext
on that.  Perhaps (3) is not possible; I don't know, not having found
time to educate myself about gettext and what it can do.  (4) should be
possible in principle, but would be a lot of effort and would make it
difficult if not impossible to use a dialog editor on the .rc file.

Anyway, I'm content for us to go with (1).

--
Tim Mann  address@hidden  http://tim-mann.org/