www-he-translating

[Targnum-translating] Re: TarGNUm semi-monthly status report 15

From: the duke
Subject: [Targnum-translating] Re: TarGNUm semi-monthly status report 15
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 17:00:39 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Edo Amin" <address@hidden>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 18:34:28 +0300
To: "the duke" <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: TarGNUm semi-monthly status report 15

> Hi -
>
> Admittedly i've been out of the loop for awhile, but this is what happens. I
> have half an hour to spend - I look into my TarGNUM folder. Before I orient
> myself with what's going on, the time has ended. Next time, I start anew.
> It's been a few times like this. I translated why copyleft, but now sure
> about:
> 1 - what to do with it, what format it should be in.

It should be HTML. native, nice and easy.
What I usually do is
configured to reformat the document)
2) insert dir="rtl" in the body tag
3) update the <link rev=...> tag on the top,

than start translating

4) in short sentences, like the language links, I translate over the english
words.
5) on longer paragraphs (like the rest of the document) I create a translated
paragraph above each english paragraph.
6) I make the needed changes on the page footer (copyrights and "translated by"
lines).
7) when the translation is finished, I delete all of the english parts.

And voila, we have a hebrew translation ready to be edited.

Using that method means the document keeps it's original formatting, and
underlying HTML comments remain untouched. very clean.

Do you think I should include this question and answer on the TraGNUm page?

> 2 - where can i find examples of other translations

Since they are not online yet (which is a scandal by itself, but that should be
discussed in other forums), I'm hereby sending a translated document
(selling.he.html) and it's source. note that the page is not edited yet, so it
may contain some mistakes.

> 3 - what's the savanna stuff anyway

Savannah is a nice greenhouse that fives us some tools to handle the TarGNUm
project in a way that wasn't possible without it. That is, mailing lists (we
have two) with archives, a homepage (that's not their strong side. we're still
negotiating that), members listing and some other features we do not use today
(like todo lists), and some features we might never use.

If you know SourceForge, it's the same, only GNU oriented, and a bit less
stable.
so why don't we use sourceforge? because Savannah is a natural habitat for a
GNU related project, and we are very GNU related. and with the time the
Savannah guys will get more experienced and stabilize.

> Edo Amin

In short, don't worry too much about technical page formatting issues. just
translate the page, zip it and send it to me (you can CC address@hidden if you
want). The person who will edit your document will make sure to send you
remarks that will help you create a better document next time.

Happy translating (or sneding, since you finished translating)

salut!
    the duke