womeninfreesoftware

Re: [Womeninfreesoftware] Logo idea: GNU in Drag

From: Amanda B Hickman
Subject: Re: [Womeninfreesoftware] Logo idea: GNU in Drag
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 17:07:34 -0400

I thought it was kind of funny, a gnu with lipstick. Even if all I can think of is "lipstick on a pig." I'd keep the horns and beard (it's a gnu not a lady) and just toss the hat and pearls on top. Either way I think the gnu is more appealing than the wasp-y noses and dainty lips in most of the logos that Kirrily pointed out. Or the sexy Sarah Connor/Tankgirl imagery.

I think the question of gender identity goes deeper than "do we all wear pearls here at Women in Free Software" to "are we really limiting our reach to 'women' or is there also room for gender queer techies who don't identify with the gender binary?"

Amanda

Kirrily Robert wrote:
Hi all, Deb(?) just added me to this list, so *waves* and all that.
Looks like this list is just getting off the ground (I looked at the
archives and there's not much there) so I hope I'm not jumping in to
the middle of something inappropriately.