web-hurd

Re: HURD article

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: HURD article
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 20:29:09 +0100

At Thu, 3 Feb 2005 18:37:02 +0200,
NSK <address@hidden> wrote:

> I published an article on GNU/HURD:
> http://portal.wikinerds.org/gnu-hurd-l4-first-program
>
> It would be great if you could check it for any factual inaccuracies that so
> can fix them if there are any.

Well, I only have two issues.  First, I think it is quite an
exaggeration to say that the steps taken are "historic".  But that is
a question of personal judgement, and my opinion wrt such matters is
probably very conservative.

The only other issue I have is with the sentence: "Now with the recent
CVS commits of Mr. Brinkmann in the Hurd-L4 repository it is possible
that the GNU Project will eventually have a usable L4-based
microkernel, which theoretically could replace the monolithic Linux
kernel."

It may be just my limited knowledge of English, but to me this sounds
false.  My changes are only one small step in that direction.  Much
more development has to take place before we can tell if our approach
is indeed feasible and leads to a usable system.

> I had sent an email asking whether I can use the images now shown in the
> article, but I didn't get any reply quickly enough so I had to publish the
> article. I don't expect you to have any problem with me using these pics, but
> in any case you can e-mail me.

I don't see an issue with that either.

> BTW: Congratulations for improving Hurd! GNU is great!

Well, thanks ;)

Marcus